Today on my blog I have a guest post by author Jessica Pennington, this is part of the blog tour for her debut novel Love Songs And Other Lies, the book comes out on April 24th and it is great! I loved it, I will have a review up in a few days! Thank you Jessica for your guest post, I sent Jessica a topic, here’s what she said:
10 Things you didn’t know before becoming a published author?
1. That I would actually enjoy querying. It was a surprisingly good fit for my organize, type-A personality. I had spreadsheets and email folders, and I approached it like a fun challenge.
2. Fellow authors are the best kind of teammates and cheerleaders you could ask for. It’s an amazing community of support, and I honestly had no idea going into publishing that I would feel like I had such a great network of people rallying around me. It’s been a wonderful surprise that I’m so thankful for!
3. Writing your first book under contract is so much harder than your debut. It’s a completely different mindset, writing something that someone has already purchased. And it was my first time writing a book since becoming a mom, so I felt, in many ways, like I had to re-learn how to write a book.
4. How much I would use my background in public relations/marketing. My publisher has been amazing, but as soon as I acclimated to the world of publishing, I realized I had a lot of skills from my public relations degree and background as a business owner, that could translate into promoting my own book.
5. Signing books is really fun. I thought I’d be nervous, but actually it is one of the coolest things ever. So far I’ve signed for librarians, and they are some of the nicest, most excited people out there when it comes to books.
6. That I would hoard all of my debut-year paraphernalia. I legit have a drawer in my office where I keep all of my conference name badges, panel brochures, notes on publisher letterhead that my editor sends me (same for my agent); I even have a giant vinyl booth banner my publisher was nice enough to let me snag from the last expo I was at.
7. Publishing is slooooooooow. I like to use my son as a measure for this: I wrote Love Songs the year before he was born, Found out I was pregnant on the same day I got my agent, he was 3 months old when I got the offer, and he’ll be exactly 2.5 years old when the book comes out. The wait has been hard, but also it’s been perfect, because I feel like I got to do so many fun things during that time, and it’s coming out at the pefect time for it!
8. Getting your cover design is one of the most exciting things ever. Enough said, it’s just so cool.
9. Reviews aren’t as scary as you think they’ll be. This may partly be because of my background as a wedding planner–an industry where you’re constantly reviewed by clients—but reviews don’t bother me much!
10. Book bloggers and librarians are ridiculously amazing and enthusiastic and wonderful. I had no idea about the book blogger community prior to publication! And after becoming an author, it’s been so cool to connect with these wonderful bookish people who put SO much time and love into promoting books. It’s really cool to be in an industry where there is this huge group of excited people cheering you along!
About the Book
Title: Love Songs & Other Lies
Author: Jessica Pennington
Publisher: Tor Teen
Release Date: April 24th, 2018
Genre: YA Contemporary Romance
Synopsis: It’s summer romance and second chances, the songs that stay in your head, and the boy you’ll never forget.
Two years after rock-song-worthy heartbreak, Virginia Miller is looking forward to a fun, carefree summer. Her friends just landed a spot on a battling bands reality show, and Vee is joining them for her dream internship on tour. Three months with future rockstars seems like an epic summer plan. Until she learns she’ll also be sharing the bus with Cam. Her first love, and her first heartbreak. Now Vee has more than just cameras to dodge, and Cam’s determination to win her forgiveness is causing TMZ-worthy problems for both of them. With cameras rolling, she’ll have to decide if her favorite breakup anthem deserves a new ending. And if she’s brave enough to expose her own secrets to keep Cam’s under wraps.
Goodreads | Amazon | Barnes & Noble | Books-a-Million | IndieBound | Powell’s
| Book Depository | Macmillan
About the Author
Jessica Pennington is no stranger to the combination of love and drama. She’s a wedding planner, after all. A writer since the age of ten—when she sought publication for her poem about a tree—Jessica likes the challenge of finding the humor in a sad situation or highlighting the awkwardness in a romantic one. She lives in a Michigan beach town suspiciously similar to the one in her books, where she’s currently finishing her second novel, WHEN SUMMER ENDS, out April 2019.
Website | Twitter | Facebook | Instagram | Goodreads